Saturday, July 26, 2008

Love In the Afternoon...And the Afterlife...












After taking it easy from Fridays travels (and recovering from Fridays self medication after effects), I was eager to spend time with my parents and catch up....My daughter wanted to get out and explore since she had never visited this particular area since my parents moved. She took off and came back a couple of hours later with a great story....

My parents live in Carmel, New York; an area rich in history related directly to this country's early establishment. Surrounding towns have plaques and signs with dated information as far back as 1788, by my own observation. So it stands to reason that the nearby cemetery would be a pretty interesting place to visit . She walks down the hill and around the winding roads and goes to the Raymond Hill Cemetery.

She's walking around, taking photographs of some interesting tombstones, etc and she happens to see a couple sitting among the grave markers. She continues to stroll and snap pictures, and occasionally glances at the couple. All of a sudden she notices that the girls head is no longer visible. Circling around as unobtrusively as possible, she notices that the girl in question is still there, as is the boy, but she is uh, "otherwise engaged". With that discovery, Lulu hot foots it home to tell the story, to the amazement of my mother--not so much me, but you knew that....

Here are some pictures of some of the markers...
Obviously the one on the right is fairly recent....but great nonetheless...
NOT what she expected in this small town, but what the hell...she's my daughter and likes the twists and turns that life throws her....

1 comment:

oshiyay said...

Hi, I never encountered love in the afternoon in a cemetery.. god knows that's something I never would have thought of. But I do know this really old cemetery in the Hamptons. It had some of the coolest headstones I've ever seen. It was located on the Hampton Bays Riverhead Road. As youngsters my sister and I would sneak out of the house late at night on Saturdays and sit on the wooden fence that surrounded it wearing sheets to frighten the drunks barreling along the road at high speed. As they approached we would stand on the fence and wave our arms. There were no accidents as a result. I'm not sure we were ever seen but in our imagination they did see us and we were dreadfully amused.

kat