Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Just when you thought it was safe to get back on stilettos....

Christmas time 1999, I fell and broke my kneecap. It was traumatic, painful, a slow recovery and left me with an ugly scar that time has thankfully made less red and raw. leading the life that I had up to this point, I can honestly say that if that was as bas as it got at age 41, I was darn lucky and should not complain.
After 7 years or so of not wearing high heels due to this painful extended recovery period,, I had amassed quite a collection of sexy high heeled shoes that I knew I was destined to wear again. Crimson, olive tones, black, tans...every color of the rainbow...purchased and lovinglykept in see thru shoe boxes which would make it easier for me to choose which ones to wear---when I could do so again. I would wear them with jeans, pants, dresses and maybe with lingerie---who knows? But I WOULD wear them again. My daughter looked at them and thought I was crazy, but I didnt care. I would buy, save and wear--one day...
And I did----2 weeks ago-----I met a gentleman who liked Karaoke. Well, I cant sing (that would be "scaraoke"), so while I accompanied him, I did not sing, but instead I spent those nights dancing in my heels to the songs that people with varying degrees of talent belted out.
I had a great time....the best in 7 years....
On July 10, 2007, I am at work (Im a teacher) and upon attempting to get up from my desk, I cried out in pain and sat back down. I could not believe that sound came from me. Even my students were scared...and trust me, not much scares them. The consensus from everyone from the school nurse to the custodian was that I should go to the nearest hospital. So I did....
Well, imagine my surprise ( a bit of sarcasm here) when i view these xrays and lo and behold, the wiring around the kneecap has not only come undone, but a piece has broken off and lodged itself in my knee joint, hence the pain when I tried to straighten my leg. While I stare in amazement at these xrays, the doctors are telling me it needs to be taken care of immediately. Of course the 2 doctors that did the surgery almost 8 years ago, are on vacation. Me? Iim working summer school in order to be able to take a vacation. I got a a crash course in hospital politics. It seems that if the original doctor is not affiliated with the hospital , he is not obligated to see me and on the other hand, the orthopedic doctor on cal at the time in the ER, did not want to deal with fixing another doctors surgery. that leaves the patient in limbo and cranks up the pissed off factor---in addition to fondling the yellow pages in the area of "medical malpractice attorneys". Okay, so i was fantasizing, but it made me feel good.

No comments: