Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Happy Veterans Day----Some More Reasons To Be Thankful

Thirty- two years ago, I had the bright idea of joining the Army (obviously the circus wasn't in town, or it could have gone that way). Let me set the scene: 18, problems with authority, hard headed, defiant, lazy, loud, disco queen, etc (Can someone say, "Private Benjamin?). You get the picture. All the things the US Army DID NOT want. I will not bore you with the details of my enlistment except to say that a good time was had by all (except perhaps my family, when I did stupid things that worried them). I DID have the dubious distinction of being in the first group of women to be known as "soldiers" and not WACs (Womens Army Corp) as we were the first to engage in co-ed basic training and responsible for the same level of mastery in all areas as the men--right alongside them .


What this country should be thankful for was that as a Vietnam War Era veteran, in a peacetime Army, I did not see combat. A few photos to snap you back into reality and be thankful for me. Don't thank me for being a veteran, thank me for not re-enlisting.....

Who Me? No, I dont know how your air mattress got holes in it!!!!

Not a sobriety test -->

Martha Stewart would be proud...this is my barracks room---all Holly Hobbied and Micky Moused up!!!!

I'm tellin ya...count your blessings, America!!!!

3 comments:

t2ed said...

One of my buddies decides to join the army after two year of college.

His first comment? "Dude, it's so not like Stripes."

Onknees (not_onknees at the moment) said...

hahhaha....well, If I had gone to college first, i would never have gone into the army....

Anonymous said...

Happy veterans day. Speaking about your army days- I found your basic training yearbook in with some stuff you left behind when you moved from Sioux Ln. You mentioned karma in a previous post- Not wanting to temp bad karma- I hung on to the stuff rather than tossing it out, mainly because I know how much you enjoyed that book. I would have returned it before now, but I had no idea how to reach you. If you want it & the other stuff back, drop me a note- I sold the house a few years back but still have the same phone # & email address.
D.